Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Micky Dolenz Without the Monkees

I freely admit that I like the Monkees.  Okay, so they weren't the Beatles or the Stones.  They were a band put together for a tv show, but I think they grew into quite a good band.  You could even say that their tv show had the earliest musical videos.
Ironically, it was a music video channel that reignited MonkeeMania.  Years after they had gone their separate ways, MTV made the Monkees popular again by airing a Monkees Marathon.  Since then, the Monkees have continued to perform on and off in various combinations of the original four.
I had the pleasure of meeting Micky Dolenz for the second time last August.  Both times, Dolenz was very nice, polite and easy-going, but he wasn't nearly as crazy as I thought he would be.
I know the character of Micky on the tv show was just that, a character, but I have seen Dolenz in plenty of interviews and other tv shows and he always comes off as goofy, funny, silly etc.  I haven't met that guy yet though.I have no complaints about Dolenz though.  It was still a thrill to meet one of my earliest musical favorites.
Micky Dolenz and me in Rosemont, IL-August 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment